[Samba] smbclient chown and chmod problem

Fernando Ruza fernandor at sescam.jccm.es
Fri Feb 10 14:14:05 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to change permisions (chmod) or owner (chown) of a file
through smbclient conected to a samba server (version: samba-3.0.4-1). I
always receive the following error message:

  Pushing string of 'unlimited' length into non-SMB buffer!

hpcinf03:/etc/samba# smbclient //hserint2/HomesUsuarios -U inform
Password:
Domain=[HGUV] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.4]
smb: \> cd bperez
smb: \bperez\> chown bperez inf prueba.xls
Pushing string of 'unlimited' length into non-SMB buffer!
smb: \bperez\> chmod 775 prueba.xls
Pushing string of 'unlimited' length into non-SMB buffer!

man of smbclient said that these commands depends on the server
supporting the CIFS UNIX extensions and will fail if the server does
not. By default this command is in smb.conf: unix extensions = yes  so I
understand it has to work. Do I have to do something to enable CIFS UNIX
extensions on my samba server ?

Does anyone can give me any clue ?? Thanks in advanced.

Grettings,

Fernando.