[Samba] NTLM Join Errors

Ian Barnes ian at opteqint.net
Thu Feb 9 12:04:53 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to join my machine to an NTLM domain and i keep getting the
following error:

[2006/02/09 13:59:11, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(186)
  ads_connect: Strong(er) authentication required

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
winbind separator = +
winbind cache time = 10
workgroup = DOMAIN
security = ads
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes
realm = KDC.DOMAIN.COM
client ntlmv2 auth = yes

i join the domain by running: net ads join -S SERVER -w DOMAIN -U
Username%Password, and once that has run, i run winbindd and nmbd.

I have issued myself a kerberos ticket:
Credentials cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
        Principal: OPTEQ at DOMAIN

  Issued           Expires          Principal
Feb  9 13:14:54  Feb  9 23:14:54  krbtgt/DOMAIN at DOMAIN

As far as i know, the domain in question doesnt require any other form of
authentication.

Could anyone provide me with a solution, this is VERY urgent...

Thanks alot,
Ian