[Samba] About join domain in different subnet.

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Thu Feb 9 07:08:59 GMT 2006

Someone else on the list may correct me, but I think the problem is
that the computer joining the domain is discovering the domain
controller by broadcast -- and broadcasts don't cross the router.

I suppose this might help you understand what you are dealing with:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
NetworkBrowsing.html

Somewhere in the network control panel, you can tell your windows
workstation to use WINS first for name resolution, and if the remote
samba is also acting as a wins server, that is the one you will want
to use to discover the controller for your domain.

Or perhaps you can customize the workstation's LMHOSTS file, prior to
making the attempt to join the domain.