[Samba] domain user + local admin group

Greg Andrews andrews at rgt.com.au
Thu Feb 9 06:27:05 GMT 2006

Howdy All,

My samba server has decided to throw a hissy fit and its quite distressing
( not hair tearing out yet but will be soon ). Samba Version 3.02

To give domain users admin rights to their local machine I have in the
past simply made domain users part of the local admin group. Perhaps not
the most elegant solution , but it works.

I today installed two more machines ( XP sp2 )onto the network and the
machines joined the domain without any grief, and when you look at users
and groups on the local machines the admin group has domain admins and the
users group has domain users ( this done automatically by samba ) however
if I try to add the domain users group to the local administrators group ,
which I have done on the other 60 machines on the network, the machine
simply hangs and says it cant do it.
Looking at "top" on the server  there is an smbd process which is spawned
( and doesn't stop ) which is utilising 99.9% of the server cpu . This is
a bad thing :(

I have read the how-to and have gone back over previous emails on the
subject and am none the wiser.

I should add that I am far from an expert, and am trying to establish what
has changed on the system which would cause this behaviour. So far the
only thing I can see that I have done is to change the root password at
the linux level ( I then changed the samba root password in desperation to
the same thing with  /etc/samba/smbpasswd root and entered the same
password.

Unfortunately no joy.

using redhat9 and samba 3.02
I am reluctant to experiment much as this is a "live" system .
Any and all help or ideas are appreciated

Greg Andrews

--
Greg Andrews
System Manager