[Samba] [resend] SAMBA and X509 certs ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 22:31:01 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:14 +0100, romain BOTTAN wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'll try to find out some info about Samba and a way to put x509
> authenticate method but i don't find anything clear about it.

There are not many 'good' options to put x509 certificates into the
Samba authentication space, and if very much depends on the client and
domain environment.

Perhaps you are looking for an AD implementation, with PKINIT on
kerberos?  This is the only real solution for windows clients.

If you control the clients (say they run Linux), you could push all CIFS
connections via a SSL tunnel, but Samba wouldn't 'know' about this, so
would not actually authenticate the users as such.

Perhaps you need to explain what you are trying to do a bit more.

Andrew Bartlett