[Samba] Browse list propagation

Bob von Knobloch bob at rwilliams.de
Wed Feb 8 17:45:50 GMT 2006

I had some discussion about this problem at the end of January and have
investigated further. The problem: Clients directly connected to the
subnets of the Samba server get a browse list (network neigborhood),
while clients that access the serveer over a router do not. there are no
broadcasts, Samba is functioning as a WINS server and is working for all
clients (nblookup proves this). I upgraded from 3.0.10 to 3.0.20b-1 but
this made no difference.
I have spent quite some time with Ethereal an notice that all clients
request SRVSVC NetrServerGetInfo request (port 445) and the information
is false in the response from the Samba server :
This is NOT a potential browser
This is NOT a master browser
This is NOT a domain master browser
although the smb.conf has:
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes

The clients in the local subnets also request LANMAN NetServerEnum2
(Port 139) and receive the correct answer:
This is a potential browser
This is a master browser
This is a domain master browser

All clients are Windows XP Professional. What is curious is that it
seems to be client driven. Why do the remote machines not ask on port
139? But also why is the Samba reply seemingly wrong on port 445?

Would appreciate any hints or advice here.

Bob