[Samba] Windows machines won't join Samba Domain...

Paul Matthews paul.matthews at cathedral.qld.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 01:15:02 GMT 2006

Although i'm sure after googleing for a few days now you've already found
out that you have to make a machine account ending in '$' for any machine
your going to add to your domain and then run the command smbpasswd -m
machinename$

have you looked in your samba logs?

/var/log/samba/*.log

you might want post your logs up here?

> Hello,
>
> This is the second time I try to get samba working using a simple PDC
> setup. Although very few changes have been made compared to the first
> set up (which kinda worked), for some reason nothing works like
> before.
>
> I use samba 3.0.21b on Gentoo. Samba works in the sense that my domain
> is visible in the network neighbourhood, and all shares can be
> accessed. However, whenever I try to join the domain I get a user name
> could not be found error... I have tried deleting and recreating the
> root account with smbpasswd to no avail. (As far as configuration
> settings are concerned, I've generally stuck to gentoo wiki's
> Implement Samba as your PDC HOWTO, modifying as needed).
>
> As far as I can tell there are no error messages in the logs, except
> for the warning that the use of "The "printer admin" option is
> deprecated"
>
> I tried using security = domain, which would result in an error
> message about SRV entries. I thought that some SRV entries for ldap
> and kerberos in bind were to blame, which had lingered around since
> the time when I was experimenting with ldap/kerberos (however the
> current setup makes no use of other authentication backends. I use
> "passdb backend = smbpasswd guest" at present). The aforementioned
> problem persists.
>
> After googling around a bit for several days, I have yet to find a
> solution. I would be grateful if somebody came up with a way to
> overcome this problem, or suggestions on how to debug it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> George
> --

Paul Matthews
Systems Administrator Trainee
The Cathedral School of St Anne & St James