[Samba] Windows machines won't join Samba Domain...

George Diamantopoulos georgediam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 01:09:11 GMT 2006

Hello,

This is the second time I try to get samba working using a simple PDC
setup. Although very few changes have been made compared to the first
set up (which kinda worked), for some reason nothing works like
before.

I use samba 3.0.21b on Gentoo. Samba works in the sense that my domain
is visible in the network neighbourhood, and all shares can be
accessed. However, whenever I try to join the domain I get a user name
could not be found error... I have tried deleting and recreating the
root account with smbpasswd to no avail. (As far as configuration
settings are concerned, I've generally stuck to gentoo wiki's
Implement Samba as your PDC HOWTO, modifying as needed).

As far as I can tell there are no error messages in the logs, except
for the warning that the use of "The "printer admin" option is
deprecated"

I tried using security = domain, which would result in an error
message about SRV entries. I thought that some SRV entries for ldap
and kerberos in bind were to blame, which had lingered around since
the time when I was experimenting with ldap/kerberos (however the
current setup makes no use of other authentication backends. I use
"passdb backend = smbpasswd guest" at present). The aforementioned
problem persists.

After googling around a bit for several days, I have yet to find a
solution. I would be grateful if somebody came up with a way to
overcome this problem, or suggestions on how to debug it.

Thanks in advance,
George