[Samba] Re: SAMBA and X509 certs ?

romain BOTTAN romain.bottan at celsecat.com
Tue Feb 7 16:01:31 GMT 2006

Sorry for the Spam,
I was waiting for the reception of the mail I sent, in my mailbox, as
I've subscribe to the mailing list but I think that the configuration of
the mailing list is done to not send the mail to the expediter of this one.

Hope it didn't bore you too much.

My question remains, if someone knows such a thing about it :?
best regards,

Hello everybody,

I'll try to find out some info about Samba and a way to put x509
authenticate method but i don't find anything clear about it.

I found in the how-to v3 some stuff about authenticate PAM module to use
with samba but I don't know if I look in the right direction.

I have a samba server running for a lots of time based on smbpass DB.
We plan to use our PKI certs to authenticate my colleges on the file
server but I don't really know how to do such a thing.

I think I need to configure Samba server to deal with a radius server
like freeradius where I can configure X509 authenticate conf. to allow
users with non revoked certificates.
I don't really know how the Windows clients will deal with the samba
server, how the process can work and if Windows will ask for
certificates instead of login and pass...

Do you think it's the way to do ?
There is not a more simply way to make this stuff out ?

thank you for your advices, I'm aware of them :)

;) (sorry for my questions, I'm not born "English" and do not know how
to make my request with all the courtesy I can express in my childhood
language.. :) please consider .... ;-o

PS: I didn't found, also, a way to make a search in mailing list
archive... :-(

--
Romain BOTTAN
mailto: romain.bottan at celsecat.com