[Samba] Samba Deleted My Linux Home Directory ?

Xavier Vilà Xavier.Vila at uab.es
Tue Feb 7 08:35:09 GMT 2006

Hi:
I have Samba3.0.14a-Debian installed on a Debian (unstable) system
After setting smb.conf to act as a domain logon I connected to the Samba
server from a Windows XP client using my personal login and password.
Samba was set to export HOMES as a share with this configuration:

[homes]
        comment = User Homes
        path = /home/%u
        read only = No
        create mask = 0754
        browseable = No

Well, the thing is that it connected without any problem (apparently !) and
my home directory on the server (/home/foo) appeared on windows as a
network drive.

The problem is that on the Linux sever the contents of my /home/foo
directory were replaced by a "standard" windows hierarchy, that is, My
Documents, My Music, Program Files, etc.

I have also tried with a newly created user (for a quick test) and *almost*
the same thing happened. In this case, though, all the files/folders in the
Linux  home directory were deleted but nothing was created

Is that possible ?????
What might have happened ?

Thanks in advance

Xavier Vilà