[Samba] operation not permitted

Guido Lorenzutti guido at lorenzutti.com.ar
Tue Feb 7 00:40:31 GMT 2006

Some times, i know this is unusual, i get this error on my /var/log/samba/%m

recycle: touching .recycle/sgallard/Laura Ambrosio/Pablodv.xls failed,
reason = Operation not permitted

Why? The file IS deleted. But it dosen't move to the recycle. The user
can delete files, and i just happend. I can't yet find a pattern to
understand why. The permissions are always the same. The type of file
are always different.

This is my config for the recycle:

cat /etc/samba/recycle_group.conf
vfs object = recycle
recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:touch = yes
recycle:versions = yes
recycle:exclude = *.tmp *.temp *.obj ~$* *.$$$ *.o *.TMP *.TEMP *.exe
*.EXE *.com *.COM

This way, i have a hidden .recycle directory on every share and when a
user delete something, it goes to
$SHARE/.recycle/username/path_in_the_share.
The wild thing is that the file always is deleted, sometime goes to the
.recycle, sometimes not.

The users don't have any perms to enter .recycle directory. This maybe a
reason?
The .recycle directory is defined in: dont descend = .recycle so they
can't enter.

Any ideas?

Tnxs in advance.