[Samba] Too many open files, Bug 3342

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Feb 6 16:39:34 GMT 2006

"Eric Boehm wrote:"

>     David> We submitted bug 3342 on Dec. 20th, Too many open files. It
>     David> has not moved from the new state. So lets try here.
>
>     David> We have Dell Quad Xeon server that we end up rebooting
>     David> about every 2-3 weeks when the number of open samba files
>     David> sky rockets. The system is a ClearCase server system. We
>     David> have been monitoring this system for a few months now and
>     David> are not able to pin down a cause to this issue. The system
>     David> keeps a pretty constant number of samba open files until
>     David> what ever triggers the issue and then the number of file
>     David> opens climbs at a steep exponential rate.
>
>     David> RedHat Advanced Server 3 update 3 Linux quinault
>     David> 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 23:35:44 EST 2005
>     David> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Samba version=3.0.6-2E
>
> I see you are using Samba 3.0.6. There were a lot of bug fixes after
> that release. I would start with version 3.0.14a. I've been using that
> version with ClearCase (although with Solaris 8).
>
> I would not use 3.0.20anything or even the latest 3.0.21b.
>
> It might be useful to see your smb.conf as well as your client MVFS
> settings. However, ClearCase is not within the scope of this mailing list.

We have tuned the client MVFS setting down to 200 for Maximum number of
mnodes to kee on the VOB free list and Maximum number of mnodes to keep
for cleartext free list.

Were not looking for ClearCase support, we believe that this issue maybe
a symptom of some other issue but so far we have not been able to make
the connection. Because of our operating environment, security, it is
very hard to make changes to platform configurations.

What information might be available about the samba connections that
might lead us to determine what triggers this event?