[Samba] Too many open files, Bug 3342

Eric Boehm boehm at nortel.com
Mon Feb 6 13:58:22 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 04:31:50PM -0800, David Highley wrote:

    David> We submitted bug 3342 on Dec. 20th, Too many open files. It
    David> has not moved from the new state. So lets try here.

    David> We have Dell Quad Xeon server that we end up rebooting
    David> about every 2-3 weeks when the number of open samba files
    David> sky rockets. The system is a ClearCase server system. We
    David> have been monitoring this system for a few months now and
    David> are not able to pin down a cause to this issue. The system
    David> keeps a pretty constant number of samba open files until
    David> what ever triggers the issue and then the number of file
    David> opens climbs at a steep exponential rate.

    David> RedHat Advanced Server 3 update 3 Linux quinault
    David> 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 23:35:44 EST 2005
    David> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Samba version=3.0.6-2E

I see you are using Samba 3.0.6. There were a lot of bug fixes after
that release. I would start with version 3.0.14a. I've been using that
version with ClearCase (although with Solaris 8).

I would not use 3.0.20anything or even the latest 3.0.21b.

It might be useful to see your smb.conf as well as your client MVFS
settings. However, ClearCase is not within the scope of this mailing list.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortel.com               \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail