[Samba] Samba 3 by Example - chapter 5 & 6 ( Manager -> sambaadmin)

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 06:43:39 GMT 2006

Dear Samba & Users.

I have spent some time going over the documentation, however I still no not
fully understand what the cause is.

I am focusing on Samba 3 by Example chapter 5 & 6 specifically

Chapter 5 smbpasswd -w 123456

[root at node1 data]# smbpasswd -w 123456
Setting stored password for "cn=Manager,dc=ddesign,dc=com" in secrets.tdb

Chapter 6 indicates in the smb.conf to use sambaadmin instead of manager.
If i change this to manager in the smb.conf & also this entry in the
slapd.conf

access to attrs=sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
                              by dn="cn=sambaadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com" write
                              by * none

access to attrs=sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
                              by dn="cn=Manager,dc=ddesign,dc=com" write
                              by * none

Alll works fine.

Chapter 6 smbpasswd -w 123456

[root at node1 ~]# smbpasswd -w 123456
Setting stored password for "cn=sambadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com" in secrets.tdb

[root at node1 samba]# cat smbd
[2006/01/30 15:23:15, 0] lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_connect_system(890)
failed to bind to server ldap://127.0.0.1 with
dn="cn=sambadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com" Error: Invalid credentials

[2006/01/30 15:23:15, 1] lib/smbldap.c:another_ldap_try(1051)
  Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!

I have added this ldif entry from chapter 6 ;

dn: cn=updateuser,dc=ddesign,dc=com
objectClass: person
cn: updateuser
sn: updateuser
userPassword: 123456

dn: cn=sambaadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com
objectClass: person
cn: sambaadmin
sn: sambaadmin
userPassword: 123456

When using sambaadmin instead of manager samba hangs unable to connect to
the ldap database, however if i change this entry in the slapd.conf all
works find also.

rootdn      "cn=Manager,dc=ddesign,dc=com"

rootdn      "cn=sambaadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com"

I have been through this configuration several times and keep getting the
same issue.

Is it possible that I am missing a crutial step between chapter 5 and the
single master ldap chapter 6 master/slave configuration.

This is only for testing purposes so I can blow away the database without
any worries.

I am thinking that the problem may be an entry in ldap is not there,
although it shows the sambaadmin user. For the moment I am using Manager in
replace of sambaadmin.

Thanks.
Adrian Sender.