[Samba] Sharing a Secondary Hard Drive

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Sat Feb 4 03:28:00 GMT 2006

At 03:10 PM 2/3/2006 +0000, Joe Cipale wrote:
>Justin McCullough wrote:
>
>>I just recently installed a second hard drive in my Samba server with
>>the  hopes of sharing it with the rest of my home network. It seems like
>>Samba  can not get the correct permissions to the drive, however. I have
>>the  drive mounted under /media/public, and when I try to map a share
>>directly  to it and open the share with a client, I get an
>>NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error. When I map the share to /media and
>>try  the client again, I can see the cdrom folder, but not public. I have
>>also  tried scp and ftp using /media/public, and they both work fine, so
>>it  doesn't seem like a common case of poor permission settings. Has
>>anyone  else ever experienced this or know of a possible cause? I'm
>>running Fedora  Core 4 if that helps.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Justin McCullough
>Have you exported the new drive under NFS yet?

Done what now? Under Samba? To access it from an NT box??

I never have done any exporting. Just declare it a share in my samba conf
file and -- oh yeah! You have to restart the daemons!
rcsmb restart (or reload? never can remember)
rcnmb restart

Silly thing won't reload the conf file until you do that.