[Samba] Confused about what I am seeing with domain names

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Fri Feb 3 14:49:48 GMT 2006

I could not get wbinfo -g/u to work and was seeing a bunch of errors
related to to not being able to enumerate groups.  I saw somebody use
idmap backend = ad and added this since I have been struggling to get ad
working (still not working).  Now, when I run wbinfo -g/-u, I am getting
groups and users, but the domain it shows is different than what I
expected.  My domain I was using for workgroup line is DOMAIN, for
example, but wbinfo -g returns back:

DOMAIN_NETWORK/group

Is _NETWORK something that samba added, or is theis the name of the
domain I should really be using?  I did a grep on wbinfo -u for my user,
and it returned my user too.  If my domain is actually DOMAIN_NETWORK,
is it possible my realm is not domain.com but domain_network.com or
something weird like that?  Should I change my workgroup line to use
domain_network?  I still can't get my kinit to find my kdc.  I am
wondering if I clear this up maybe my kdc kinit command will work.  Note
that I did ask my nt admin to run dns nslookup checks on
_ldap.domain.com and _kerberos.domain.com, and those did return the
correct results showing domain.com should be my realm.

David

David Shapiro
Unix Team Lead
919-765-2011