[Samba] ADS and samba domain member: ads_connect: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requ

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Thu Feb 2 19:45:33 GMT 2006

/etc/host, resolv.conf are fine.  nsswitch.conf does not exist on aix
systems, but I did add the winbindd entry where aix expects it.    I
guess we will see if people respond, but I noticed nobody answered this
type of question in the past...

David

David Shapiro
Unix Team Lead
919-765-2011

On Thursday February 02 2006 8:49 am, David Shapiro wrote:
> [...]
>
> > member server.   I have read through google, yahoo, and this list,
>
> but I
>
> > cannot find the answer yet.
> >
> > When I run: net join ads -Uadministrator and try to login it gives
>
> the
>
> > following error:
> >
> >  kerberos_kinit_password Administrator at MYREALM.COM failed: Cannot
> > resolve network address for KDC in requested realm
> > [2006/02/01 09:33:46, 0] ../utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(191)
> >   ads_connect: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
> > realm
> >
> > The details of my setup are:
> >
> > aix 5.2.0.7
> > libiconv-1.9.1
> > autoconf-2.59
> > libiodbc-3.52.4
> > bison-2.0
> > m4-1.4.3
> > db-4.4.20
> > mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12
> > krb
> > samba-3.0.21a
> >
> > ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-ads --with-ldap
> > --with-winbind --with-acl-support --with-utmp --with-quotas
> > --with-sendfile-support
> >
> > openldap-2.3.19
> >
> > ./configure --enable-crypt --without-cyrus-sasl
> >

> > unixODBC-2.2.11
> > gcc 3.3.2
> >
> > /etc/krb5.conf:
> >
> > [libdefaults]
> >         default_realm = MYREALM.COM
> >         default_etypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
> >         default_etypes_des = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
> >         ticket_lifetime = 24000
> >         clockskew = 300
> >         dns_lookup_realm = false
> >         dns_lookup_kdc = false
> >
> > [realms]
> >         MYREALM.COM = {
> >                 kdc = myadsserver.mydomain.com
> >                 default_domain = mydomain.com
> >         }
> >
> > [domain_realm]
> >         .mydomain.com = MYREALM.COM
> >
> > [logging]
> >         kdc = FILE:/var/log/kdc.log
> >         admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmin.log
> >         default = FILE:/var/log/krb5lib.log
> >
> > /etc/hosts:
> > 1.2.3.4   myadsserver.mydomain.com myadsserver
> >

> > Note: Nothing goes into the logs and if I move aisde thekrb5.conf
it
> > still tries automatically MYREALM.COM.  I put an error int he
>
> krb5.conf
>
> > file to see if it would notice, and it does warn about it, so it
is
> > looking in krb5.conf.
> >

> > David Shapiro
> > Unix Team Lead
> > 919-765-2011
> > --
>
> In krb5.conf, try this:
>
> [realms]
>   YOURDOMAIN.COM = {
>        default_domain = yourdomain.com
>        kdc = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   (my note - use ip address of AD
server)
>        admin_server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  (my note - use ip address of
AD
> server)
> }
>
> HTH.
>
> Dimitri
>
> --
> believed to be clean.
>
> --

David,

Firstly, be mindful that the list is made up of volunteers who do their
best
to provide answers as quickly as possible.  Sometimes you may have to
wait a
bit longer, but I've always found these folks to be most kind and
helpful.
Give 'em a chance.

Now, after that mild rebuke:  I have little experience with AIX; my
are based on my work with Samba on Linux.  That said, I believe that
you
should have nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf files on the system.  Are
these
configured correctly?  Is pam.d/login configured correctly?

Dimitri

believed to be clean.