[Samba] Re: Samba on AIX

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Thu Feb 2 18:23:00 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Starke" <jim.starke at benco.com>
To: <jojowil at samba.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:20 PM
Subject: Samba on AIX

> Hi JoJo,
>
> I looked but didn't find an answer to the question I have. Our /opt
directory
> isn't very large and our Volume Group doesn't have enough space to add to
it. In
> the coming months we are budgeting for larger system drives. But on to the
> question.
>
> Can one use softlinks instead of placing it in /opt?
>
> For example:
>
> ln -s /ssadrive/Samba /opt/Samba

I would not do that as the tarball has absolute pathnames and it'll only
replace the symlink.

What you could do is create a filesytem "/opt/Samba" on another VG and mount
that. Make sure there is a "/opt/Samba" dir in the /opt filesystem.
Overmounting is a clever way to overcome your particularly common scenario
of rootvg being too darned small (or overused).

I'm copying the list so others can benefit from your scenario.

> and then place everything over there? I have planty of space on the other
> drives, it is just that the system drives are pressed for space.
>
> Thank you for your work in compiling an AIX version!

My pleasure. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bill