[Samba] Red Hat and "use sendfile"

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Wed Feb 1 19:40:06 GMT 2006

Recently I've seen several suggestions on this list for the enabling of "use
sendfile" as a means to improve throughput.  I thought this was peculiar
since the doc says it is enabled by default.  I guess it isn't.

On both RHEL4 (Samba v3.0.10) and Fedora Core 4 (Samba v3.0.14) the entry
for "use sendfile" in the smb.conf says:

	Default: use sendfile = yes

Hmm.  In fact I just discovered that sendfile is *not* enabled by default in
these 2 environments.  By doing a verbose output from testparm I see that
in both these environments "use sendfile" is set to No.

So what is going on here?  Is the doc just wrong or is Red Hat disabling
this option in their Samba packages?

I'm running a Samba v3.0.10 server in RHEL4.  The clients for this server
are Linux, Win2K and WinXP machines.  Given these circumstances, should I
enable "use sendfile" to get better throughput?

Thanks.