[Samba] Increasing samba performance

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:05:28 GMT 2006

Hi.

Between 2 linux (2.6.11 client and 2.6.14 server) machines connected by
a 100Mb link I get samba performance copying a file from the client to
the server through a smbmounted share of around 4.2MB/s
Is this to be expected? Or can it be improved (and if so, how?) I've
tried tweaking SO_(SND/RCV)BUF (after reading numerous articles on
samba performance...), but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Unfortunately, I can't use jumbo frames at this moment either.

I've tried this with shares on ReiserFS and XFS and there is no
difference in the transfer rate.
Both machines are not even close to maxxed on cpu (both are at around
10-15% cpu when the transfer is running).

Thanks.

-- James