[Samba] ADS and samba domain member: ads_connect: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Wed Feb 1 14:41:22 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am having a problem getting my server to join our realm as a domain
member server.   I have read through google, yahoo, and this list, but I
cannot find the answer yet.

When I run: net join ads -Uadministrator and try to login it gives the
following error:

 kerberos_kinit_password Administrator at MYREALM.COM failed: Cannot
resolve network address for KDC in requested realm
[2006/02/01 09:33:46, 0] ../utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(191)
  ads_connect: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
realm

The details of my setup are:

aix 5.2.0.7
libiconv-1.9.1
autoconf-2.59
libiodbc-3.52.4
bison-2.0
m4-1.4.3
db-4.4.20
mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12
krb
samba-3.0.21a

../configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-ads --with-ldap
--with-winbind --with-acl-support --with-utmp --with-quotas
--with-sendfile-support

openldap-2.3.19

./configure --enable-crypt --without-cyrus-sasl

unixODBC-2.2.11
gcc 3.3.2

/etc/krb5.conf:

[libdefaults]
        default_realm = MYREALM.COM
        default_etypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
        default_etypes_des = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
        ticket_lifetime = 24000
        clockskew = 300
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        dns_lookup_kdc = false

[realms]
        MYREALM.COM = {
                kdc = myadsserver.mydomain.com
                default_domain = mydomain.com
        }

[domain_realm]
        .mydomain.com = MYREALM.COM

[logging]
        kdc = FILE:/var/log/kdc.log
        admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmin.log
        default = FILE:/var/log/krb5lib.log

/etc/hosts:
1.2.3.4   myadsserver.mydomain.com myadsserver

Note: Nothing goes into the logs and if I move aisde thekrb5.conf it
still tries automatically MYREALM.COM.  I put an error int he krb5.conf
file to see if it would notice, and it does warn about it, so it is
looking in krb5.conf.

David Shapiro
Unix Team Lead
919-765-2011