[Samba] SOLVED was Re: Any ESRI users? Upgrade 3.0.14 to 3.0.21a broke Arcmap layer loading?

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 01:54:43 GMT 2006

On 1/30/06, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> We discovered an oplock logic bug in 3.0.21a which we'll be fixing in
> 3.0.21b. You might want to try turning them on again if you upgrade.

Thanks for the headsup! I've been reading about oplocks (including the
HOWTO) and it sounds like we don't need 'em. If I understand the HOWTO
correctly, they don't sound like the world's greatest idea. Our network is
reasonably fast and our user applications aren't moving tons of data back
and forth. It's still puzzling me why oplocks are even *in* this picture
since the ESRI applications should be opening files read-only, but maybe
they aren't.

I *am* wondering why the default setting for oplocks is on, when they sound
somewhat risky. Do some Microsoft applications take it ill if they aren't
available?

thanks again
Betsy