[Samba] winbindd issues on member server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Dec 28 17:52:14 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 09:39:42AM +0100, Robert Gehr wrote:
> Hi there
>
> After having posted a while ago about the trouble I had with 3.0.23 I
> gave it another try with 3.0.23d
>
> I installed the current version on our samba PDC and BDC while the
> member server was still running 3.0.22. This setup has worked for a
> couple of weeks with no issues.
>
> I then upgraded the member server two days ago to 3.0.23d and after
> serveral hours I could not connect via ssh to the member server anymore.
> I got no login shell. I could also not log in on the console.
> Fortunately I still had an open session so I killed winbindd and
> immediately I could log in again. Errors in my winbindd log are as follows.
>
> winbindd Exceeding 200 client connections, no idle connection found
>
> and heaps of:
>  nsswitch/winbindd.c:request_main_recv(556) malloc failed
>
> The "malloc failed" entries I also get under 3.0.22 which works OK
>
> Another thing that happened was that all of a sudden users had no write
> permissions on shares anymore they could write to a couple of minutes
> before. After logging in anew to the domain they could write again to
> the shares.
>
> So I am back on 3.0.22
>

> The system is not the most up to date because it's the our main
> fileserver and we don't want to play too many tricks.

winbindd has undergone a lot of work since 3.0.23d was
released. In fact a partially re-written winbindd will
be one of the main advertized features for 3.0.24. If
you're willing to test the current code in the SAMBA_3_0_24
svn branch I'd really appreciate it, as I'm not aware
of any current memory leaks in the new code (but it does
need wider testing).

Thanks,

	Jeremy.