[Samba] Samba shares on Linux machine get disconnected after ~ 1 min

Walter Mautner retlaw.rentuam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 10:53:31 GMT 2006

Helge Schichlein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Samba 3.0.13 running on Suse 9.2 on an i586.
>
> I can browse and connect to the Samba shares on the Linux machine from
> Windows XP and Mac OSX.
>
> However, about 1 min after connecting, the shares are lost and gone from
> the network environment - same for Windows XP and Mac OSX. From time to
> time, they "re-appear" only to be gone after another minute or so.

That looks like a browsemaster issue: some other pc is fighting with your
samba server to become the workgroup master (and that pc obviously does not
carry the shares)

> # Global parameters
> [global]
>      workgroup = kauai
>      server string = Samba 3.0.13 at napali.kauai.de
>      map to guest = Bad User
>      username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>      printcap cache time = 750
>      logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
>      logon drive = P:
>      logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
>      printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
>      cups options = raw
>      include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
>      add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody
>      -s
> /bin/false %m$
>      domain logons = No
>      domain master = No
>      security = user

You have set "domain master" to no, which just means you don't want your
server to appear as a _workgroup_ browse master. Even if you do not want a
NT style domain, you should consider changing this - unless you have
another domain controller which also does carry the members list by
default. But then, you would want a reference to that in your smb.conf
as "wins server = <IP>".
If you keep running this server 24/7, there should be no reason to not make
it "domain master" and "local master" and "preferred master" as well, or /
and use the "wins support" directive, together with
the "netbios-name-server" stanza in your dhcpd configuration or (done
through ADIDAS-Admins) adding the IP of your wins server to each clients
tcpip settings - advanced - WINS entries.