[Samba] password strenght doubt

Cleber P. de Souza cleberps at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 04:13:05 GMT 2006

Hi Guido,

There are a set of ways to accomplish such task.
Some I use is:
1) Set obey pam restrictions = yes in the smb.conf file.
2) Set check password script = /usr/sbin/crackcheck -d /usr/lib/cracklib_dict
This check the user password against a dictionary. Crackcheck can be
downloaded from samba
(http://people.samba.org/bzr/mwxia/samba-soc/examples/auth/crackcheck/).
The cracklib package must be installed for the dictionary to work.
3) Use pam pam_cracklib to set your password rules for lower/upper
characters, numbers, special characters, etc:
password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
minlen=8 difok=3 dcredit=-1 lcredit=-1
Or pam_passwdqc for the same thing:
password    requisite    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_passwdqc.so
min=disable,8,8,8,8 max=25 passphrase=0 match=6 similar=deny random=64
enforce=users retry=3
See the man pages for correct options values.
4) You can block users after X retries using pam pam_tally.so, but I
haven't tried this yet.

I think this can help you.

***
Cleber P. de Souza