[Samba] Heimdal or MIT kerberos comparison

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 23 21:41:39 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 10:23 -0600, James A. Dinkel wrote:
> What is the difference between Heimdal and MIT as far usability goes?
> MIT seems to be the default on major linux distrobutions, but I here a
> lot about people preferring Heimdal, but I can't find any reasons why.
> Is one generally more stable/faster/reliable than the other?

The biggest thing users will notice is that the error message system
returns contextual errors, with the actual reason for the failure, not
just the translated code.  It often includes the vital clues that help
fix up the inevitable kerberos issues.

I've use Heimdal in Samba4, particularly because of the close working
relationship I have with it's primary maintainer.

Andrew Bartlett