[Samba] Accessing Samba Shares from Windows

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Thu Dec 21 14:41:00 GMT 2006

In message <7ucb3-1r0-13 at gated-at.bofh.it>, "Gerald (Jerry) Carter"
<jerry at samba.org> writes
>Mirceac,
>
>> In our case the company police rules don't allow us to
>> join non Windows machines to our domain.
>
>No offense to you personally, but that is an irresponsible
>IT policy and just plan stupid.  You can quote me on that one.

I wouldn't call it irresponsible or stupid. If samba.org are willing to
provide free on-site software support then I'm sure that the OP could
persuade his employer to change the policy. If I was responsible for a
company network, and didn't have any Linux support resources, I would
block anyone from connecting any Linux boxes to my network whether using
Samba or not. There are situations where there might be a legal
requirement to do just that.

Personally I'm happy to use Samba servers on my home network, happy to
use them on my company networks if I can support them properly. If I
only have Windows support engineers available then blocking Linux access
is prudent.

Things will change when any network admin can assume that his people
have enough Linux experience to properly support it. We haven't got to
that point yet.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com