[Samba] problem with acls and dos mode in 3.0.23d

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 09:18:28 GMT 2006

> Robert Mortimer пишет:
> > Check the UNIX user permissions. Samba stores the windows read only
> > attribute here.
> > If the owner does not have write access than samba assumes the
> read only bit
> > is set.
> >
> I have write permissions on fs ( i.e. linux ) level
> > This is a problem with the fudge to Windows file attributes to Unix
> > attributes file.
> >
> IMHO, it is problem in permissions calculation in current samba code...

It's to do with the mapping of permissions on file systems that do not
support the same attributes. If a file's user does not have write access
this is flagged as being the same as the windows read only bit. The SAMBA
"create mode" configuration can determine default state of the user's Unix
permissions. There is nowhere in the ext file system to map the read only
bit so this translation was decided upon. Since the adoption of this
convention acl's are now common but the old translation is still the one
used. My problem is I can not get  "create mode" to do what I want but that
is a different thread.