[Samba] migrate samba from smbpasswd to LDAP

Zhi-Wei Lu zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 19 22:50:39 GMT 2006

Hi,

I may ask the question that have been asked and answered many times
before.  Basically, I am trying to migrate a samba PDC from the
smbpasswd to LDAP.  Let me know if the following steps will work or not.

The machine is running a RHEL 4 with samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9.

1.  Stop the smbd and nmbd processes on the samba PDC.

2.  Save old configuration and database files (in case).

3. Migrate all smbpasswd entries to LDAP, include user and machine
accounts, sambaDomainName
, and Idmap in LDAP, preserving the sambaSID from the old setup.  I have
tested samba with LDAP  on a test server
with a test domain and it works just fine.  I am using home grown script
to accomplish the task of migrating data (not the IDEALX tools).

3. Put the new LDAP-enabled smb.conf file in place.

4. Put the LDAP admin password into /etc/samba/secrets.tdb file

5. start samba.

Do I overlook anything here?

Thank you very much for your help.