[Samba] migrate samba from smbpasswd to LDAP
zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 19 22:50:39 GMT 2006
I may ask the question that have been asked and answered many times
before. Basically, I am trying to migrate a samba PDC from the
smbpasswd to LDAP. Let me know if the following steps will work or not.
The machine is running a RHEL 4 with samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9.
1. Stop the smbd and nmbd processes on the samba PDC.
2. Save old configuration and database files (in case).
3. Migrate all smbpasswd entries to LDAP, include user and machine
, and Idmap in LDAP, preserving the sambaSID from the old setup. I have
tested samba with LDAP on a test server
with a test domain and it works just fine. I am using home grown script
to accomplish the task of migrating data (not the IDEALX tools).
3. Put the new LDAP-enabled smb.conf file in place.
4. Put the LDAP admin password into /etc/samba/secrets.tdb file
5. start samba.
Do I overlook anything here?
Thank you very much for your help.
More information about the samba