[Samba] tdbsam info

Tim Gessner tim at deltacompsys.com
Mon Dec 18 22:46:58 GMT 2006

I am trying to support our network while the 'IT' guy is on vacation.  I
have set up samba before, but it has been a few years so I'm very rusty.
The problem is a logon failure for a new user.  The smb.conf file has

        workgroup = DELTA

        server string = File Server

        security = DOMAIN

        obey pam restrictions = Yes

        password server = delta.deltacompsys.com

        passdb backend = tdbsam

        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

I am not familiar with tdbsam.  Can anyone point me to some
documentation or give me the 5 second overview?  Where do I go to debug
this problem?

The logon works fine for Windows, just fails with samba.  This is
running on a debian distro.  Thanx!