[Samba] Re: Need some guidance re: two domains sharing the same workstations

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Mon Dec 18 20:57:29 GMT 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 05:18:47PM +0000, Aidan Dixon enlightened us:
> I've had similar misfortunes too with interdomain trusts.  I think
> you're working along the right lines since you seem to want to do the
> same thing as I.
>
> However the NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL is an error I always get when trying
> to connect to the IPC$ share of the PDC of the trusting domain.  In my
> case the trusting PDC is a Windows 2003 Server.
>
> I know it's not an issue of credentials but something else; but I don't
> know what.  Judging by the traffic on this list someone HAS got this to
> work.  Anyone care to comment.
>
> Kind regards,
> -a.

In some more diagnosis, here's where I seem to be:

The Interdomain Trust relationship works. I can log into a SW computer with
a SW account, and browse to MATH servers and see files.

If the account name exists in one user database, I can log in with
credentials from the other Domain. Specifically, I've got an account
(hyclak) which exists in both the MATH and SOCIALWORK domains. I can log
into a SW computer with my MATH credentials no problem, but if I use an
account that isn't in both domains, I can only log into machines in the
associated domain.

This leads me to believe either:

1. I need to use a single LDAP tree for all the accounts - feasible, but I'd
   rather avoid

2. There is some problem with my configuration (winbind?) that is not
   allowing the accounts to be looked up enough to see if the credentials in
   the other domain is correct.

Can anyone help with 2, or should I just give it up and go with 1?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Hyclak