[Samba] Fileserver for Two AD Forests with No Trust Relationship

Alan Broady alan.broady at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 14:41:09 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have the following situation:

I'm designing a solution for an organization with two Active Directory
forests. The forests do not have a trust relationship, and there is no
chance to get them to move to a trust relationship (at least within a
reasonable timescale).

I need to set up a fileserver than both sets of users can access, with
Windows authentication. I could host this on a UNIX box (probably AIX)
or on a Windows box (probably W2003 Server).

AFAIK, there is no way to set up a single instance of Samba to realize
this (or at least without getting into hacking the source / special
builds, which also would be unacceptable - I must use widely available
/ standard products).

Mad idea:

2 x UNIX servers (or logical partitions - bit like a VMWare image).
On each UNIX server, run Samba.
One server is a "normal" Samba fileserver
Other server has files from the first server mounted via NFS.

Would it work?
If not why not?
Issue?

Better ideas (please!!)