[Samba] winbindd_raw_kerberos_login: kinit failed

Anders.Strandberg at tietoenator.com Anders.Strandberg at tietoenator.com
Thu Dec 14 17:39:22 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have set up  Samba 3.0.23d on Linux Suse NLD9  with AD idmap backend
with security = ads and rfc2307.

At every login there is a log message in log.wb-MYDOMAIN :

[2006/12/14 17:46:51, 1]
nsswitch/winbindd_pam.c:winbindd_raw_kerberos_login(510)
  winbindd_raw_kerberos_login: kinit failed for 'myuser at MYDOMAIN.COM'
with: Invalid argument (22)

with debug level 10:

winbindd_dual_pam_auth: domain: MYDOMAIN last was online
winbindd_dual_pam_auth_kerberos
is_myname("MYDOMAIN") returns 0
using ccache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_55555
winbindd_raw_kerberos_login: uid is 55555
kerberos_kinit_password: using FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_55555 as ccache
winbindd_raw_kerberos_login: kinit failed for 'myuser at MYDOMAIN.COM'
with: Invalid argument (22)
winbindd_raw_kerberos_login: could not remove ccache
winbindd_dual_pam_auth_kerberos failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Obviously winbindd_raw_kerberos login fails.

I suppose it is some call in kerberos_kinit_password_ext that returns
with error , but I have not found which one .

The question is what argument is invalid, tcpdump gives some info on
Unknown encryption types 0x11 and 0x12, and failed preauthentication.
Login succeeds eventually, but this is samlogon.

Does anyone have a hint about this or how to troubleshoot it further.

/Anders