[Samba] Can connect to shares via IP but not hostname

Scott courier at troutpocket.org
Fri Dec 8 23:43:13 GMT 2006

Chris Smith wrote:
> On Friday 08 December 2006 11:59, Scott wrote:
>> This is a samba box acting as a DC.
>
> See the section "Procedure 3.5. Server Validation Steps" in
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/secure.html.

Passed all the steps 100%.  I can connect via smbclient to //starfish/share from
within a local ssh session on starfish *and* via smbclient from another linux
box on the network.  I still cannot open any shared folders from any windows
clients via \\starfish\share, only \\10.0.0.2\share.  I have verified that name
resolution is working correctly.

This one has me baffled.  I appreciate all the help.

-Scott