[Samba] Samba and Heimdal Kerberos V Authentication

Matt Skerritt matt.skerritt at agrav.net
Mon Dec 11 01:46:42 GMT 2006

Heyho.

Like you, I would like to have the setup described below. I believe
this setup is possible, and the client and server setup side of it is
described at

http://sial.org/howto/kerberos/windows/

(which was also linked earlier in this thread). I am yet to set samba
up to do kerberos authentication as described, but I did successfully
join a Windows XP client to my MIT KDC as described.

The biggest  problem that I've found so far is that as soon as you
join your windows clients to the non-windows kerberos KDC, then that
client is no longer in a domain, and all users and groups have to be
local to the machine. (I think the computers will make a new profile
when a user it hasn't seen before logs in, but I'm not 100% sure on
this) ... things like roaming profiles and the like seem to become
unavailable. At least in any useful sense.

That was completely unacceptable to me (although not surprising) as I
have a running samba domain with roaming profiles, system policy and
the like - all of which was unavailable to the machines
authenticating against kerberos, so I have not pursued that setup any
further. I am yet to find any dodges to this problem - and figure
that until Samba 4 comes out, or until I am forced to buy a windows
server, that it's just not going to happen :(

I hope that's at least a little helpful to you.

--
Matt Skerritt
matt.skerritt at agrav.net