[Samba] howto "upgrade/transfer" samba domain-user + domain-group data to a new windows 2003 active directory domain?

Urs Rau urs.rau at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:52:46 GMT 2006

Thanks Michael,

On 12/6/06, Michael Schurter <michael at susens-schurter.com> wrote:
> Urs Rau wrote:
> > We have two basic needs that demand we now introduce active directory
> > servers to our previously 'windows server free' office. One we want to
> > manage the windows xp sp2 desktops using group policies and secondly
> > we have a need to start using shared calendaring.
> >
> > Alternatively, I would also welcome any suggestions that would allow
> > us to use microsoft outlook shared calendaring and enable us to manage
> > the windows xp workstations using group  policies, using any other
> > configuration, preferably open source of course. ;-)
>
> Group Policy Management in Samba:
>
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/PolicyMgmt.html

Not sure if I am missing the trees for the forrest but to me that page
seems to support my conclusion. That if I want to use Group Policy
features with Samba I _do need_ active directory. I could try to use
the older NT4 style System Policies but that is not what I am after, I
am after using the _Group_ Policy features that only come with using
active directory? Or did I miss something?

--
Urs Rau