[Samba] what OS do you use for Samba?

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Wed Dec 6 18:06:03 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 13:59, James A. Dinkel wrote:
> deb http://us5.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian sarge samba
>
> And you'll track the latest stable release.
>
> I have a production Debian Sarge server that does just this.
>
> Just don't do it with Etch, since in a few days time you'll get the same
> package from Debian that you got from Samba, except that the Debian
> packages have a few files moved from samba to samba-common.  That
> confuses apt.  So with Etch I'd recommend staying plain vanilla Debian
> in sources.list until it goes stable and the version number freezes.
> Then you can move to using the Samba team repository.
>
> Ubuntu is cool too, especially the LTS version -- you probably won't go
> wrong either way.

Ubuntu (Edgy Eft) seems to be stuck at 3.0.22. Which is one of the reasons I
elected not to move to Ubuntu servers - when I first examined the possibility
they were stuck on 3.0.14 for the longest time. Also CUPS, the other major
component I need for supporting Windows clients, on Ubuntu is stuck at 1.2.4,
whereas I run 1.2.7 on Gentoo.

Do the Sarge releases from the Samba team work properly with this (or any)
version of Ubuntu?

Chris