[Samba] Samba and Heimdal Kerberos V Authentication

Ludek Finstrle ludek.finstrle at pzkagis.cz
Tue Dec 5 09:37:53 GMT 2006

> >> Recommended reading:
> >> http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal/heimdal.html#Using-LDAP-to-store-the-database
> >>
> Yes I use it with ~1000 users, and it's working like charm, you just
> have to take care of the ACLs of passwords stored on LDAP as stated on
> Samba and Heimdal documentations, also if you want nonsasl binds you may
> want to set the userPassword attributes to
> {SASL}theusersuid at YOUR.KERBEROS.REALM. I've attached my
> /usr/lib/sasl2/slapd.conf, /etc/default/saslauthd (I use debian), and
> hdb.schema (I've found it googleing).

Hello,

  I see no way to authenticate Samba againist Kerberos without AD.
As I know samba doesn't use userPassword but it use sambaLMPassword and
sambaNTPassword instead (due to different encryption). So what's the
difference between storing Kerberos data in LDAP and storing it
separately?

Am I missing something important?

Regards,

Luf