[Samba] PDC/BDC trouble

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Mon Dec 4 19:56:50 GMT 2006

All,

I'm using an LDAP backend for a test PDC/BDC setup. Both the PDC and BDC are using the same LDAP server. Both the PDC and BDC are running 3.0.23c on Sarge, and I've verified that both the PDC and BDC will authenticate users via smbclient. XP clients are able to login to the domain fine, and all is generally swell.

My PDC is also my WINS server, and I've verified that XP clients on other subnets see two "DOMAIN#1c" records, so both DCs are being presented to clients.

The problem I'm having is this: When SMBD on the PDC stops, XP clients will no longer authenticate; the specific error is "the system cannot log you on now because the domain GSS is not available." NMBD is still running, and XP clients still see 2 "#1c" records. Why don't my XP clients fail over to my BDC?

Both the PDC and BDC are operating in their designated roles:
test-pdc:/etc/samba# testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

test-bdc:/var/log/samba# testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

smb.conf is pretty similar on both machines; the full file is included below. Here are the differences:

rpunt at rpunt:~/documents/Samba3/backup$ diff pdc.smb.conf bdc.smb.conf
3,4c3,4
<       netbios name = GSS-PDC
<       server string = Samba 3 PDC
---
>       netbios name = GSS-BDC
>       server string = Samba 3 BDC
13c13
<       os level = 255
---
>       os level = 200
15,16c15,16
<       domain master = yes
<       preferred master = yes
---
>       domain master = no
>       preferred master = no
18c18
<       wins support = yes
---
>       wins server = 172.21.24.5 # test-pdc's IP address

The same SID is returned for both machine and domain queries on the PDC and BDC:

test-pdc:~# net getlocalsid GSS
SID for domain GSS is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX
test-pdc:~# net getlocalsid
SID for domain GSS-PDC is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX

test-bdc:~# net getlocalsid GSS
SID for domain GSS is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX
test-bdc:~# net getlocalsid
SID for domain GSS-BDC is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX

How can I ensure that XP clients will authenticate against the BDC if the PDC is unavailable?

Thanks,
Ryan

### smb.conf on the PDC ###
[global]
        workgroup = GSS
        netbios name = GSS-PDC
        server string = Samba 3 PDC
        passwd program = /opt/ChangePasswordSecure %u
        passwd chat timeout = 60000
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *successfully* .
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 1
        max log size = 0
        os level = 255
        domain logons = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        dns proxy = no
        wins support = yes
        preexec = sh -c 'echo Welcome to GSS domain | /usr/bin/smbclient -M "%m" -I "%i" ' &
        enable privileges = yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldapserver.1240.good-sam.com"
        ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
        ldap suffix = o=good-sam.com
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u >/tmp/smbldap-useradd-machine.log 2>&1
        rename user script = /usr/sbin/rename.pl %unew %uold >/tmp/smbldap-rename-machine.log 2>&1

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /opt/netlogon
        write list = user1, user2