[Samba] LDAP, checkpwnam and PDC

Ben Wheare samba-users at bwgames.net
Mon Dec 4 17:28:41 GMT 2006

Hiya,

I'm trying to set up a Samba PDC with an LDAP backend.
I experienced problems joining machines to domains, the machine account
was created, but Windows said user name cannot be found.
I resolved this by adding ldap to /etc/nsswitch.conf, but this has the
side effect of allowing ldap users to login to the server via SSH.
Whilst I can understand the need for LDAP users to be accessible to the
system, i.e. checkpwnam etc for permisisons, I don't want users to be
able to login to anywhere except the client Windows 2000/XP boxes.

People (only 3) who can login via SSH already have "real" user accounts
in /etc/passwd etc.

Is there a way to stop this being allowed?

Thanks.
Ben