[Samba] Removing display of domain

Brian Atkins batkins at tlcdelivers.com
Fri Dec 1 18:41:30 GMT 2006

Greetings. I am running Samba 3.0.23d on Gentoo and am in the process of
joining it to the AD domain as I have done with numerous other servers.
The last item that I am working on that is bugging the crud out of me is
that I have "winbind use default domain = yes", but when using wbinfo
-[u|g] or getent [passwd|group] I still see the domain portion of the
user/group account listed. Example:

# wbinfo -u
DOMAIN+kevin
DOMAIN+nelson
DOMAIN+drew
DOMAIN+john
DOMAIN+glen

On other servers I have set up with the same parameters, I get:

# wbinfo -u
kevin
nelson
drew
john
glen

SMB.CONF:
-------------
[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
realm = DOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM
netbios name = SERVER
server string = WEB-SERVER
security = ADS
log file = /var/log/samba/samba.%m
max log size = 50
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
os level = 5
preferred master = no
local master = no
domain master = no
dns proxy = no
wins proxy = no
wins server = 10.0.0.1
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
unix extensions = no
winbind enum users = yes
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
hosts allow = 10.0.0. 127.

KRB5.CONF:
--------------
[libdefaults]
ticket_lifetime = 600
default_realm = DOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM
dns_lookup_kdc=0
dns_lookup_realm=0
dns_fallback=0
default_tkt_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
default_tgs_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
permitted_enctypes = rc4-hmac des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5 arc
foug-hmac-md5 arcfour-hmac-md

[realms]
DOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM = {
kdc = 10.0.0.1