[Samba] Adding users with usrmgr/smbldap-useradd

Mark Rutherford mark at maunzelectronics.com
Fri Dec 1 16:08:16 GMT 2006

Samba 3.0.23d, on Debian Sarge -  using the samba.org packages
smbldap-tools 0.9.2

Greetings all,

I am trying to set up a new PDC using LDAP, etc.
Adding/deleting/modifying users in LDAP works fine using phpldapadmin.
These users also work just fine logging in/out.

I am trying to get the usrmgr tool to also work, so im working on the
scripts on the server.
I am getting this error however when I use smbldap-useradd:
Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at ./smbldap-useradd
line 197, <DATA> line 283.

The line in the file contains the following code:
$userGroupSID = $group_entry->get_value('sambaSID');

Not being a perl expert, not really sure what it wants.
In smbldap.conf I have this set:
SID="S-1-5-21-1662024183-4127337904-449993581"

Unless it wants something else? I really have no idea on this one.

I am assuming that since this is not working on the server that usrmgr
is not going to work either.
I can add machines using the same script (smbldap-useradd -w "%u")
I am running this to add users as such:
smbldap-useradd -a "%u"

Some oddities with usrmgr also,
In usrmgr all the users that were added to LDAP do exist.
There are no groups shown in in the bottom of the view in the groups area.
I can modify the users to my hearts desire, changing their passwords,
logon times, etc and that all works.

If I try to add a group I get an 'access denied'
If I try to add a user i get an error 'the username could not be found'
(I am assuming this is because there is no working script? YET.)
I know not all of the windows management tools actually work, but as
long as users can be removed/added it really does not matter to me.

I can add machines using srvmgr and that also works fine.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks for the help