[Samba] Re: samba Digest, Vol 48, Issue 1

Daniel Carmo Olops danielolops at yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 1 14:07:30 GMT 2006

Well, maybe it's not the "best" or the "most elegant"
solution - I've never tried to tweak this -, but it
works:
- Insert the following lines on your PDC's smb.conf:
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind trusted domains only = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        template homedir = /home/%U
        template shell = /bin/false
- Start Winbind.
- Join the PDC to its own domain (net rpc join)
- Check if it was successful (net rpc testjoin)
- Check if the shared secrets of Winbind are OK
(wbinfo -t)
- Test if you can authenticate a user via winbind
(wbinfo -a user%password)
- Test if you can use ntlm_auth with basic schema
(ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic)

If all else works, then you can set up your squid.conf
to use NTLM and the ntlm_auth helper.

Note: for a reason that is unknown for me, wbinfo -g
and wbinfo -u doesn't work at all. Answers are
welcome.

Hope that it helps.

Daniel