[Samba] XP client doesn't save/retain share passwords

Paul paul at golborne.com
Fri Dec 1 04:07:25 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 22:15 -0500, M Azer wrote:
> I am using xp pro SP2 to map a share on samba 3.0.10/redhat enterprise4 - i
> choose to reconnect as different user + reconnect at logon it works fine
> however when i reboot the xp machine it loses the password to the share and
> i have to re-enter it again.
>
> is this a normal behavior? did anyone come across something like that?
>
> Thanks

I have a similar situation - I created a login.cmd file (on the xp pc)
and entered:

net use //server/share_name  password  /user:username

I then add a shortcut to login.cmd in the startup folder so it runs when
I log on.
I'm sure there is more than one way to do this, but the script works for
me.

Paul