[Samba] Samba 2 PDC upgrade to Samba 3 - group mapping problem

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Thu Aug 31 17:56:53 GMT 2006

I'm in the process of replacing a Samba 2.2.12 PDC with Samba 3.0.14a-Debian. An LDAP database serves as the user data store, and I've made no changes to the Samba 2.2.x-compatible LDAP records. Since I don't relish LDAP schema changes, I've specified ldapsam_compat as my passdb backend; I figured that since I was already running a compatible LDAP schema, there was no need to make use of the updated, Samba3-compatible LDAP schemas. However, I'm starting to doubt that assumption, because every time I try to list group mappings or assign security rights, I get the following search in my LDAP log:

filter="(&(objectClass=sambaGroupMapping)(gidNumber=1000))" attrs="gidNumber sambasid sambagrouptype sambasidlist description displayName cn objectClass"

[My already-defined group "Domain Admins" has GID 1000]

Since sambaGroupMapping is part of the updated Samba LDAP schema, I suppose I'll have to make those schemas available; or do I have my ldapsam_compat configuration wrong? Again, I would have thought that specifying ldapsam_compat would have meant maintaining operational capability with a working Samba 2.2.x+LDAP installation, but apparently I was wrong...?

On a possibly-related note, does anyone know where I could find SunOne DS-compatible Samba schemas? The latest version I've been able to find was listed compatible with Samba <= 3.0.10.

TIA,
Ryan

relevant smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
netbios name = DOMAIN-PDC
server string = Samba 3 PDC
encrypt passwords = Yes
passwd program = <REDACTED>
passwd chat debug = No
passwd chat timeout = 60000
passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *successfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
; remember to lower the log level in real life :-)
log level = 3
max log size = 0
domain logons = Yes
os level = 255
preferred master = True
domain master = True
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
preexec = sh -c 'echo Welcome to XXXX domain | /usr/bin/smbclient -M "%m" -I "%i" ' &
passdb backend = ldapsam_compat:"ldap://ldapserver.domain.com"
ldap suffix = o=example.com
ldap admin dn = cn=LDAP Manager
ldap timeout = 60
add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u >/tmp/smbldap-useradd-user 2>&1
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u >/tmp/smbldap-useradd-machine 2>&1