[Samba] Problem adding machine or user accounts to a large group in the group file

powderskier9 at hotmail.com powderskier9 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 18:34:08 GMT 2006

Hello,

We are currently experiencing an issue when trying to add members to a group
on a server running Samba 3.0.20b-3.4-SUSE(SLES9). It appears that we have
reached the size limit for the specified group in the group file. This group
is the only one that is large in size within the group file. When we add the
user to the group in Linux using useradd, it seems to be added, but when we
check the group file, there is no entry for the most recent addition.
Further, when we try to add the user with pdbedit to the large group, the
entry does not appear to be added to the tdbsam backend in Samba. I have ran
a wc group and it has output the following:

62        - lines

62        - characters

3617    - byte size

The error that is appearing on screen in relation to pdbedit is:

tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [user] without a primary
group RID

Further, we have tried to manually remove some unused entries from the large
group, in order to decrease the size of the group file, but this has not
produced any positive results. I have also thought about increasing the
logging level in Samba to get some more detailed feedback from the server.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark