[Samba] I think CIFS is severely broken

David McGlone dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 25 21:05:11 GMT 2006

I am running samba-3.0.23b-2 On both my server and laptop. I can't for the
life of me write to the mounted shares.

I have tried every possible combination to mount the shares and still cannot
write to them.

Also, I keep getting an error at boot: mounting cifs filesystem error 13
opening credentials file.

But it doesn't complain about it if I mount the shares manually after the
system starts up. I even changed the permissions to 777 and it still
complains.

I also found out that any password will mount the shares! Is this me or is
this a very bad thing?

Last but not least, there is one thing I can think of that might be the
culprit, but I highly doubt it, My server is running the 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
kernel and my laptop is running the 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 kernel.

Could anyone give me some insight on this? I've been trying to get this to
work since Monday.

Thanks
David M.