[Samba] can't write to cifs shares

David McGlone dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 24 15:59:28 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

First, I sent this E-Mail to the samba-cifs but it seems nobody is on that
list because I cannot find any archives so I'll give this list a shot.

I'm David. Just joined the list.

I am having a severe problem with cifs.

Could someone help me out here?

For some reason, I cannot write to the shares that I mount no matter what I
try.

I added this to my fstab file:

//192.168.2.3/d /media/d cifs
credentials=/home/david/.smbpasswd,uid=david,gid=david 0 0
//192.168.2.3/e /media/e        cifs
credentials=/home/david/.smbpasswd,uid=
david,gid=david 0 0

A little about my setup:

The server is running SuSE 10.1 using smbfs and my laptop is running FC 5 and
mounting the shares from the server onto my laptop using cifs.

I added the lines above to my fstab on the laptop and I can mount and unmount
the shares as root but not user and I cannot write to the shares as user.

I would like to be able to mount as user and write to them as user.

Any help would be so appreciated.
David M.