[Samba] Loosing printer settings when upgrading

Kristian Pedersen kp at cs.aaue.dk
Thu Aug 24 10:58:06 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from samba 3.0.21c to 3.0.23b, however when I do
this, samba looses all the settings for the printer drivers such as
paper type (letter vs. A4), number of trays, installed memory etc. for
the printers.

When I upgrade I copy the following tdb files from the old installation:

private/secrets.tdb
var/locks/account_policy.tdb
var/locks/group_mapping.tdb
var/locks/ntdrivers.tdb
var/locks/ntforms.tdb
var/locks/ntprinters.tdb
var/locks/registry.tdb
var/locks/share_info.tdb
var/locks/winbindd_idmap.tdb

I am able to dump the content of ntdrivers.tdb, ntforms.tdb and
ntprinters.tdb using tdbdump, and it seem to be okay.

In the new 3.0.23b I added support for CUPS printing, but I dont see how
this would break the old tdb-files?

Am I doing something wrong? Or is newest samba not able to read the
settings from 3.0.21c tdb-files?

I checked the logfiles but didnt find anything suspicious with regards
to the printing issue. Any hints on debugging this problem?

Regards,
--
Kristian Pedersen