[Samba] Pam [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore], Winbind

Nolan Garrett nolan at massivegeek.com
Tue Aug 22 19:28:34 GMT 2006

Winbind has been working great for domain logons (have to restart it
every few weeks, but other than that, works great!), but today I noticed
I couldn't log in as a local user.  For instance, if my local user was
test, and I tried to log in, I'd get this in /var/log/messages:

Aug 22 12:14:00 mgprisvr pam_winbind[8346]: request failed, but PAM error 0!
Aug 22 12:14:00 mgprisvr pam_winbind[8346]: internal module error
(retval = 3, user = `test')

There were no errors in the winbind.log file.

In my /etc/pam.d/system-auth, I found this line:

account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore]    pam_winbind.so

I Googled that line (and parts of it) but had no luck figuring out what
it was doing.

I changed it to:

account     sufficient    pam_winbind.so

and now I can log in with local accounts, as well as domain (winbind)
accounts.

I have two questions:

A) Is this some kind of bug with winbind, or did some other tool
mis-configure my system-auth file with this line?

B) What does the [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] line do,
and does it matter that I removed it?

Thanks!

Nolan Garrett